Potato Pea Curry
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon pureed garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 to 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar, or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Raita (yogurt-cucumber garnish)
Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch dice. Place in a bowl and rinse with cold running water until water runs clear, to remove excess starch.
Heat 1/4 cup clarified butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onions until brown. At same time, heat remaining clarified butter in a large skillet over moderate heat. Fry potatoes until golden and add Sauteed onions.
Add garlic and ginger, and cook just long enough to release their aromas. Remove from heat and add cumin, turmeric, coriander, and pepper flakes. Return pan to moderate heat and cook 12 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes, water, and salt.
Simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until peas are heated through. Adjust seasonings and serve immediately with basmati rice and assorted chutneys and raita.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.