Potato Poblano Soup
- 2 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch wide pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 Poblano chiles, roasted, seeded, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes or 8-10 small red new potatoes, unpeeled, chopped
- 1 cup Crema, Creme Fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Anejo cheese (optional)
In a heavy Dutch oven or stockpot, fry the bacon over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until it starts to brown. Toss in the onions, half of the diced Poblanos, the salt and pepper and cook until slightly golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon out any excess fat. Stir in the garlic and cook briefly just to release the aroma, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock, add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Puree in a food processor or blender just until smooth, being careful not to over-process. Over-working will result in a gummy soup. Return to the pot, stir in the Crema, Creme Fraiche or sour cream and bring just to a boil. Stir in the remaining Poblanos for garnish. Sprinkle with grated Anejo, if desired, and serve hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.