Prairie Honey Pumpkin Bread
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup wildflower or other pale amber honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup canned or freshly cooked and pureed pumpkin
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, optional
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries, optional
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 2 (9 by 5 by 3-inch) loaf pans and set aside.
Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar together into a large bowl. With a wooden spoon, stir in the honey, water, oil, pumpkin, and eggs until you have a smooth batter. Fold in the pecans, raisins, and/or dried sour cherries, if using.
Pour the batter in to the prepared pans and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pans on a wire rack.
Recipe courtesy Judith Fertig
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse