Presto Marinara Sauce
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 pound linguini, cooked according to package directions
- Freshly grated Locatelli pecorino Romano
- Serving suggestions: Green salad and crusty bread.
Transfer the tomatoes and liquid to a bowl and gently crush the tomatoes with your hands.
Heat the oil in a saucepan, set over moderate heat until hot. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and liquid, tomato sauce, basil, salt, and red pepper flakes, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta. Drain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add sauce and toss to coat. Top with cheese. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
Tuna Marinara Sauce: Add 1 can Italian tuna, packed in oil, including oil, after sauce has simmered 10 minutes, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Sausage Marinara Sauce: After onion and garlic have been softened, add 1/2 pound crumbled Italian (sweet or hot) sausage and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Add tomatoes and continue with recipe as above.
Recipe courtesy of Fannie DiGiovanni
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis