- 1 cup unsoaked black beans
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 (4-inches long) pambazos, teleras, or French-bread rolls, slit lengthwise and with some bread removed
- 16 thin slices baked ham
- 4 slices queso fresco or queso panela
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, well dried and shredded
- 1/2 medium avocado peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or creme fraiche
- 8 slices tomato
- 4 canned pickled jalapenos, sliced in strips
Cook the black beans in boiling salted water for 1 1/2 hours. Drain, reserving the water and season with salt. Smash the beans with some of the reserved cooking water. Heat a saute pan. Add canola oil and heat. Fry the smashed beans in the oil for 6 to 7 minutes.
Spread the bread with beans, top each with 4 slices of ham and 1 of cheese. Divide lettuce, avocado, crema, tomato, and strips of jalapeno. Add salt, to taste. Place bread tops on and press down.