- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (Optional; this meal already has lots of spice, so you might want to lay off it in this recipe. However, if you are serving psychedelic coleslaw with any other meal, the cayenne provides a nice kick.)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/3 head red cabbage (looks purple to me), cored, then cut crosswise into the narrowest ribbons possible and separated
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, then sliced lengthwise into the thinnest strips possible
- 1 red pepper, seeds and membranes removed, then sliced lengthwise into the thinnest strips possible
- 1/2 medium-size sweet onion, finely sliced, rings separated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated or minced fresh gingerroot, peeled first
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves, stems discarded before measuring, chopped
- 1/4 daikon, optional (a large white Japanese radish; available in some grocery stores) peeled and coarsely grated
In a small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, lime juice, honey, and cayenne. Set aside.
Toast sesame seeds in a dry pan, over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and toss thoroughly. Then toss with dressing.
Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Just before serving, toss with sesame seeds (reserving a few to sprinkle overtop).
Note: Do not prepare more than a couple of hours in advance because the color of the cabbage will seep into the other ingredients.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.