Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Brown Butter Buttercream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- Brown Butter Buttercream, recipe follows
- Brown Butter Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 4 cups powdered sugar (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 regular size cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves, and salt. Set the bowl aside. In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, combine the sugar, oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, and pumpkin. Add the eggs 1 at a time. Mix on low until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.
Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter and bake until the cupcakes spring back when touched with your finger, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pans for a few minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.Brown Butter Buttercream:
In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup butter over medium-low heat until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Cool. In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the remaining 1/2 cup butter for 30 seconds. Add the cooled brown butter and beat until combined. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat in the buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until spreadable.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse