Pumpkin Vermont Chevre and Jonah Crab Souffle
- 6 soup bowl pumpkins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cracked black pepper
- 6 eggs, separated, yolks reserved, whites whipped to stiff peak stage
- 12 ounces Jonah crab meat
- 2 sage leaves, chiffonade
- 6 ounces Vermont chevre
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut top off of pumpkins. Remove seeds, place pumpkins in large pan with 4 cups of water, cover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Place flesh in a heavy-bottomed pot with the butter, flour, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook with low heat until dry. Remove from heat, add egg yolks and transfer to a stainless steel bowl. Raise oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Fold in crab, sage, chevre, and egg whites.
Pipe mixture back into pumpkin and bake for approximately 13 minutes.
Garnish with pumpkin top.
Recipe courtesy of Jeffrey Weiss