Pureed Spinach and Sweet Pea Soup with Fresh Mint Cream
- 2 big yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves fresh garlic coarsely chopped
- 2 (10-ounce) bag (or the equivalent) fresh spinach, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups frozen petite peas
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh Mint Cream, recipe follows
- Fresh Mint Cream:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Salt and pepper
Saute onions in the butter in a large soup pot over high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent onions from sticking until they begin to soften about 10 minutes. Add garlic, lower the heat to medium and continue cooking for another 10 minutes until onions are translucent. Stir in spinach and saute until wilted about 5 minutes more. Add peas and the stock to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove soup from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Using a food processor puree soup in small batches (use a second bowl to pour puree in until all soup is pureed). Place puree back into pot, add cream and bring to simmer over low heat.
To serve, ladle soup into 4 large bowls and top with about 3 tablespoons of the fresh mint cream.Fresh Mint Cream:
In a bowl, using a whisk, combine all ingredients until smooth.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.