Purple Peruvian Potato and Bell Pepper Low-Fat Salad in a Cilantro and Olive Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds small to medium-sized unpeeled purple potatoes (use Yukon Gold or peeled Idaho as substitutes)
- 1 red onion, roasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tomato, roasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 roasted yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 cup mesclun lettuce (i.e. Bibb, radicchio, arugula, baby spinach, etc.)
- 1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- Cilantro and Olive Vinaigrette (see recipe below
- CILANTRO AND OLIVE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons nicoise olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pommeroy mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add salt. Cover, bring to a boil and continue to boil 12 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked al dente (cooked through but not overdone). Drain and set aside.
In a large bowl combine the yellow pepper, mesclun lettuce and calamata olives. Add the roasted onion and tomato.
When the potatoes have cooled down a bit, slice them into small chunks. Add the potatoes to the vegetables in the bowl, and pour the vinaigrette on top. Gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at room temperature (or save in the refrigerator for up to 2 days).CILANTRO AND OLIVE VINAIGRETTE:
Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix at medium speed until well-blended.
Yield: 10 servings (about 1 cup)
Recipe courtesy of Rafael Palomiro, Sonora Restaurant, New York, NY