Quick-and-Spicy Chicken 'n' Dumplings
- 8 skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 4 cups all-purpose baking mix, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 (1.41-ounce) box coriander and annatto seasoning (2 packets)
- 2/3 cup milk
Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Combine 2 cups baking mix, paprika, and next 6 ingredients in a large zip-top freezer bag. Add chicken thighs, 1 at a time; seal bag, and shake to coat.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half of chicken, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove chicken. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and chicken.
Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to drippings in pan, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom.
Return chicken to pan; stir in remaining broth and 2 seasoning packets. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.
Combine milk and remaining 2 cups baking mix in a medium bowl, stirring just until moistened. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover, and cook 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.
"The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. They have been tested in the Southern Living Test Kitchens. All brand names have been removed from these recipes, which originally appeared on southernlivingcookoff.com."