Quick BBQ Sauce
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 7 min
- 10 min
- 25 min
- 32 min
- about 8 cups
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 cloves garlic (about 1 head), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 ham hocks
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and crushed pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the ham hocks, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until deep red in color and has thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning salt with pepper. Sauce will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens