- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken, about 2 breast halves
- 1/2 cup sliced pimento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and ginger and cook 3 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt, and black pepper and cook 1 minute, until spices are fragrant. Add chicken, olives and dates and cook 1 minute to heat through. Remove from heat.
Arrange 1 sheet of phyllo in the bottom of pie plate, allowing dough to hang over the edges. Spray with cooking spray and then top with another sheet of phyllo dough. Top with 1/3 of chicken mixture. Fold overhanging dough over chicken filling. Continue layering, using all sheets, 2 at a time, ending with phyllo dough, fold top sheets over, to cover the filling so nothing is hanging over the sides. Spray the surface with cooking spray and top with almonds. Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown. Sift confectioners' sugar over top just before serving.
Note: Keep phyllo sheets moist in between use so they do not dry out. Cover them with a damp towel or cloth.