Almost Tandoori Chicken
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric, a palmful
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin, 1/2 a palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/3 palmful
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 pieces naan bread, plain or flavored, store-bought, warmed
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Combine the yogurt with the spices and zest of lime in a large bowl.
Cut the chicken into large chunks and season liberally with salt and pepper. Add to the yogurt mixture and toss to coat evenly. Put a small wire rack on a baking sheet or a slotted broiler pan. Arrange the chicken on the rack or slotted pan and roast until charred at the edges and juices run clear, about 15 minutes.
Combine the apple, tomatoes and scallions in a serving bowl. Add the lime juice, oil, and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve with apple-tomato topping and warm bread.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray