- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 1 large clove garlic, cracked
- 6 big, thick slices crusty Italian semolina bread
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1 (6-ounce) jar roasted red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, Parmesan or Romano
Place a very large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add the oil and garlic clove into the skillet and gently infuse the garlic flavor into the oil. In the meantime, using a round cookie cutter or an empty can, cut out the center of all 6 slices of bread. Add the prepared bread slices to the garlic infused oil. Crack the eggs 1 at a time and drop them into their "nests" or, the center of each slice of bread. Drain and slice red pepper. Add a strip or 2 of red pepper to each nest. Season the birds in their nests with salt and pepper and sprinkle a little cheese into each nest. Gently turn the birds in their nests and turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit in their nests 5 minutes more, then transfer to a platter and serve.