Black Cherry and Black Pepper Lamb Chops with Sweet Pea Risotto
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus some for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup peas, defrosted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 loin lamb chops, each 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup black cherry all fruit preserves (recommended: Polaner brand)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, eyeball it in your palm
Place the stock in a small pot and warm it up over medium low heat.
Place an oven rack 8 inches from broiler and preheat broiler to high.
Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 turn of the pan, with a tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium to medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add onions and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes the add Arborio and cook a minute more. Add wine and cook it all away, 1 minute. Add a few ladles of warm broth and let that cook off, stirring occasionally. The risotto will take 22 minutes to cook. Add a ladle of broth from time to time until risotto is starchy, creamy and cooked to al dente. Add peas about 2 minutes before serving. Add in cheese, chopped mint and parsley just before serving.
When the risotto is half-cooked, 10 minutes from being done, drizzle the chops with extra-virgin olive oil and arrange on a slotted broiler plan. Place chops in oven under hot broiler and cook 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare. Place a tiny pan on the stove over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and shallots to the pan. Cook shallots 2 minutes then add the preserves and whisk them together with balsamic vinegar and black pepper. Heat to a bubble then remove from heat and add remaining pat of butter. Whisk butter into sauce.
Season the risotto with salt to taste. Place a generous serving of risotto into shallow dinner plates. Arrange 2 chops on each plate alongside the risotto and drizzle the black cherry pepper glaze over the chops and garnish plates with extra sprigs of mint.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay