Bourbon BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches and Green Apple Slaw
- 2 small skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 orange, sliced
- BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 shots of bourbon
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 red onion, grated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound cabbage (red, green or a mix), shredded
- 1 large green apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- Brioche rolls, split
- Bread-and-butter pickles, for topping
For the chicken: Place the chicken breasts and thighs in a pot with the bay leaves, carrot, onion, orange and some salt. Cover with water, then cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook at a low rolling boil for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken to a cutting board. Strain the broth, then return to the pot and boil for a few minutes to reduce it slightly. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and shred the meat.
For the BBQ sauce: Meanwhile, combine the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, bourbon, garlic and orange juice in a small pot. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
For the slaw: Whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, lemon juice and onions. Season with salt and some pepper. Add the cabbage and apples and toss to combine.
Add 1 cup poaching liquid to the BBQ sauce, then add the chicken, stirring and shredding it with 2 forks. Pile the chicken on the rolls and top with pickles and slaw.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.