Cherry Tomato Red Clam Sauce with Linguini
- 1 pound linguini
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 to 6 anchovies
- 1 pint small cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 stems oregano, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 pounds Manilla clams, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
Bring water to a boil for pasta, salt water and cook pasta just shy of al dente.
While water comes to a boil, heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add anchovies and melt into oil. Add tomatoes, onions and garlic to the pan, season with crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, parsley and pepper, saute until the tomatoes and onions are soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add wine and reduce for 1 or 2 minutes, melt butter into sauce and add clams to pot. Cover the pot and cook clams until they open, 6 to 7 minutes.
Remove any unopened clams and add pasta to the pan. Toss linguini with sauce for about 2 to 3 minutes so the pasta absorbs the flavors. Add basil to pasta and taste to adjust seasonings.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali