Chicken Cacciatore Subs
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breast, 6 to 8 ounces each
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
- Grill seasoning blend, or salt and pepper
- 4 sub rolls, split
- 2 cloves garlic, cracked away from skins
- 1 teaspoon red crushed pepper flakes
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, white or brown skinned, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/3 palm full
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or stock -- chicken or beef flavor
- 1 (14-ounce) can, crushed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 pound deli sliced provolone
Heat a grill pan or large skillet. Drizzle chicken with oil, to cover,and season with grill seasoning blend or salt and pepper. Grill or pan-fry 6 minutes on each side.
Heat broiler, lightly toast rolls on cookie sheet and remove.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, mushrooms, peppers, onions and oregano. Saute veggies and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, then deglaze the pan with wine or stock. Pick up tasty bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or heat safe spatula. Add tomatoes and parsley to the sauce. Slice chicken breasts on an angle and set into sauce. Pile chicken and veggies into sub rolls and cover with sliced provolone. Melt cheese under hot broiler. Serve.