Chicken, Chorizo and Tortilla Stoup (Stew-like Soup)
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage, in packaged meats case near kielbasa
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 small red potatoes, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted chopped tomatoes (recommended: Muir Glen)
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 sack red or blue corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack or smoked Cheddar
- Suggested garnishes: chopped scallions, chopped cilantro or fresh thyme leaves
Preheat medium soup pot over medium-high heat.
Chop tenders into bite-size pieces. Wash up, then season chicken with salt and pepper. Dice chorizo. Add extra-virgin olive oil and chicken to pot. Lightly brown chicken 2 minutes, then add the chorizo and garlic. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, then add peppers, onions and potatoes. Cook 5 minutes, then stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, and hot sauce. Add chicken stock and bring soup to a bubble.
Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender 10 to 12 minutes. Ladle soup into shallow bowls and top each bowl with a generous handful of crushed tortillas and cheese. Melt cheese under hot broiler. Garnish with scallions and herbs.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray