Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 packages chicken tenders, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a palm full
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, 5 to 6 sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 bag white corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack or sharp white Cheddar
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Handful fresh cilantro leaves or fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Heat a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken, begin to brown 4 minutes, add coriander, thyme, salt and pepper, to taste, onions, bell pepper and jalapeno, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and stock, heat through.
While the soup is working, lightly crush some tortilla chips and divide among 4 bowls. You need a couple of handfuls per bowl. Top the chips with a little cheese. Toss the avocado with lime juice. Top the chips with ladles of soup. Garnish soup with avocado, scallions and cilantro or parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.