Chili Lime Fish Fry
- 4 tilapia fillets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, a couple of palmfuls
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2/3 palmful
- 2 teaspoons onion powder, 2/3 palmful
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/4 cup vegetable, canola or safflower oil
Season the fish with salt and pepper. Arrange 3 shallow dishes. Put the flour in 1 dish and add the eggs to the second dish. Combine the bread crumbs in the third dish and season with 1 tablespoon of lime zest, 2 tablespoons of chili powder, the garlic powder, onion powder and thyme. Coat the fish in the flour, then the egg and then the bread crumbs.
Heat the oil, about 1/4 cup, in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. If your pan is not large enough to fry 4 fillets, in a single layer, heat the oven to 275 degrees F and put a cooling rack on a baking sheet. As you fry the fish, transfer them to the rack in the oven to keep warm. Fry the fish until deeply golden and crispy and transfer to a serving platter. Season with a little extra salt, top with lots of lime juice and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray