Chorizo and Chickpea Sauce with Rice Pasta
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo, casing removed and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- One 18-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary needles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as Rioja
- One 28- to 32-ounce can San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 1 pound rice pasta, such as rigatoni or penne
- Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Heat the EVOO in Dutch oven or saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo, brown and render and then remove with a slotted spoon. Add the garlic and onions, then reduce the heat a bit.
Place half of the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse to process. Add chicken stock and rosemary and process to make a finely chopped saucy mixture.
Add the tomato paste to the onions and stir, 1 minute. Add the wine and deglaze the pan. Then add the chicken stock and chickpea mixture to the onions, and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and break them up a bit. Add the remaining whole chickpeas and simmer the sauce over low heat, 25 to 30 minutes.
Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat the sauce over medium heat while cooking the pasta.
Heat a large pot of water to cook the pasta and season with salt. Cook the pasta to al dente, 5 to 6 minutes, and reserve 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water.
Toss the pasta with the parsley and the sauce, and use a little starchy water if necessary to combine.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray