Chunky Chicken and Chorizo Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 3/4 pound chorizo, chopped
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, 3 palm fulls
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, a palm full
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can red beans, drained
- 1 bottle beer
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups quick cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves
Heat a big, deep skillet over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Add chorizo and render its fat, 2 minutes. Push the chorizo off to the sides of the pot and add chicken meat. Brown and crumble the chicken, 5 to 6 minutes. Season the chicken with chili powder and cumin while it cooks. Combine the onions, garlic, peppers and beans to meats and cook another 5 to 6 minutes. Stir the beer into the chili and reduce the liquid a minute then add the tomatoes and heat through. Season the chili with salt, to taste, and reduce heat to low.
Bring 6 cups stock to a boil in a medium pot, stir in polenta and keep stirring until the polenta masses and thickens to a porridge, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in butter, scallions and thyme and season with salt, to taste.
Fill bowls half way with polenta and make a well in the center. Fill up bowls with chili and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray