- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 3 to 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, spilt lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped 1/2-inch dice
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 small to medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch half moons
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes, grated on large side of box grater
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds diced Poached Chicken, recipe follows
- 2 quarts chicken stock/poaching liquids from Poached Chicken
- 8 ounces extra-wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or parsley and dill combined
- A little lemon zest, for garnish
Heat a soup pot with the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery and onions. Cook, partially covered, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bay leaf, zucchini and some salt and pepper. Partially cover and cook 5 minutes more. Then add the garlic and leeks. Stir 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, and stir for 1 minute. Add the grated tomatoes, chicken and stock. Bring to a low boil, adjust the salt and pepper to taste, cool and store. Reheat over medium heat.
To serve, heat a medium pot of salted water to boil. Cook the noodles to al dente, 5 minutes or so. Drain and toss the noodles with the butter, herbs and some salt and pepper.
Stir a little lemon zest into the soup. Place a small mound of noodles in each bowl and ladle chunky chicken and vegetable soup over top.
- 1 whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- Herb bundle of parsley, rosemary and thyme
Place the chicken in a large stockpot. Add the peppercorns, celery, garlic, bay leaf, carrot, lemon, onions and the herb bundle tied with string, sprinkle with salt. Cover the chicken with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, a rolling simmer. Simmer 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, then cool the chicken in the stock. Strain the stock, discarding the vegetables. Remove the chicken in large pieces from skin and bones. Cut half of the meat into bite-size chunks for the soup. Thinly slice or pull the remaining meat, and reserve for another use.