- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup EVOO
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup lager beer
- 2 thick slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds ground turkey (white and dark meat blend)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce About 8 ounces smoky bacon (have the butcher slice on the thin side)
Spinach Salad with Dijon Dressing:
- 1 shallot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 pound farm spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
For the meat loaf: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Place 4 eggs in a pot, cover with water, place over high heat and bring to a boil. Then cover the pot, remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Crack the shells and soak a few minutes in cold water. Peel and dry on paper towels.
Heat the 2 tablespoons EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, garlic and onions, season with salt and pepper and cook to soften, 7 to 8 minutes. Deglaze with the beer. Cool.
Soak the bread with the milk.
Place the meat in a bowl, add the thyme and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Squeeze out the liquid from the bread and rub between hands to crumble as you add to the meat. Add the blue cheese, Cheddar, Worcestershire sauce, the remaining egg and the cooled vegetables. Mix to combine.
On the baking sheet form half the meat into a 10-inch long by 4-inch wide brick. Then center the hard-boiled eggs lengthwise down the loaf. Top with the remaining meat and form a loaf. Coat the meatloaf with overlapping straps of bacon. Wrap and store for a make-ahead meal or bake right away.
Bake the loaf 1 hour on the center rack. Then switch on the broiler and brown the bacon top until crisp. Let stand a few minutes, and then slice and serve with the salad.
For the salad: When the loaf is about ready, grate the shallot in a bowl. Add the vinegar, Dijon and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the remaining EVOO, about 1/3 cup. Toss with the spinach and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Slice the meat loaf and serve with the spinach salad.