- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Thick cut white bread, lightly toasted or brioche rolls the size of burger buns split and lightly toasted
- 8 leaves red or green leaf lettuce
- 8 baby gherkin pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
Place peppercorns in plastic food storage bag to contain and crack them with mallet or small pan to a very coarse grind. Combine peppercorns with pork, garlic, thyme and some salt. Make 4 thick patties, thinner at the center for even cooking.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook 6 minutes on each side. Set burgers on bread slices or bun bottoms. Top with lettuce, sliced gherkins and sliced shallots. Combine the cranberry sauce with the mustard and slather on bun tops. Place the tops on the burgers and serve.