Deconstructed Sweet Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 1/2 pounds bulk Italian sweet sausage (pork or turkey) with fennel, cut from casings (6 links)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, sliced or grated
- 3 bell peppers, 2 green and 1 red field pepper, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white or red wine
- 2 cups tomato sauce or tomato puree or passata
- A few leaves fresh basil, torn
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 3/4 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- About 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- A handful fresh parsley, chopped
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
In a drizzle of EVOO in a deep skillet over medium-high heat, brown and crumble the sausage, but do not crumble to fine. Drain the browned sausage on paper towels. Add a couple of turns of EVOO to the pan. Then add the garlic, peppers and onions and cook to tender-crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir a minute. Next, stir in the wine and then the tomato sauce. Add the sausage and drippings back. Add a few leaves of torn basil. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer a few minutes to combine the flavors, and then cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat over medium heat.
To serve, bring the stock to a boil. Add the rice, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook, about 17 minutes. Then stir in the butter and cheese and remove from the heat.
Serve the butter-and-cheese rice in shallow bowls topped with the sausage and peppers. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray