Deviled Skillet Chicken and Pickled Cabbage and Red Onion Slaw
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 8 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken, 4 legs and 1 whole breast, quartered or 4 thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram or oregano
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups hot pickled vegetable salad (recommended: Giardiniera)
- Crusty bread
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high to high heat. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Season the chicken with salt and lots of black pepper, to taste. Add 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, to the hot skillet and brown the chicken, skin side down, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and brown on the other side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
While chicken browns, combine the cabbage and onions in salad bowl. Put the vinegar, sugar, a teaspoon of salt, bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves in a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and reduce the liquid by half, about 5 to 6 minutes. Strain and pour over the cabbage mixture. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil and toss to coat.
Mix together the mustard, red pepper, marjoram and rosemary leaves in a small bowl. Spread the mustard mixture over the skin side of the chicken. Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting pan and pour in 1 cup of wine. Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over chicken and transfer to the pan to the oven. Roast the chicken for 12 to 15 minutes.