- 4 pieces bone-in, skin on dark meat chicken (2 thighs and 2 drummers)
- 1 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast, cut into quarters
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 cup loosely packed mixed fresh herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme), chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups dry red wine
- A handful of raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or sliced almonds
- Ciabatta bread, to serve
Liberally sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat a large cast-iron or heavy skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Brown the chicken well on both sides and remove to a plate. Add half of the herbs, the garlic, celery, bay leaf, carrots and onions to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Next add the wine and the raisins and bring to a bubble. Add the chicken back to skillet and cook, turning occasionally, 30 minutes at a simmer. Serve from the skillet or cool and store for make-ahead meal.
To serve, top with the remaining herbs and pine nuts and serve with warm bread.