Eggplant Curry with Toasted Almonds
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, cooked to directions on package
- 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan in a slow, steady stream) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large, firm eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large, yellow skinned onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin with a whack between flat of knife and heel of hand
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup (a couple of heaping tablespoons) mango chutney
- 1 rounded tablespoon mild curry paste or 2 tablespoons (a generous palm full) curry powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth or stock
- A handful (about 2 tablespoons) cilantro leaves, finely chopped, optional
- Toasted sliced or slivered almonds
- Thinly sliced scallions or chopped fresh chives
Prepare rice. While rice is simmering, start curry.
Heat a deep, heavy bottomed nonstick skillet over medium to medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add oil, eggplant, onion, and bell pepper. Cover pan and cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and add garlic; cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes, chutney, curry, salt, and broth. Stir to combine and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes over low heat for flavors to combine. Remove curry from heat and stir in cilantro. Ladle eggplant curry into shallow bowls. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop rice balls into the center of bowls. Garnish your the and rice with lots of toasted sliced almonds and scallions or chives.Tidbits:
Curry paste is available on the International Foods aisle of markets. The paste is deep red in color and will keep several months in the refrigerator.
Vegetable stocks and broths are available in the soup aisle of market and are now widely available in paper containers with re-sealable spouts. If you use broths often in cooking, these paper containers are terrific to keep on-hand in your refrigerator.
If you want to purchase just enough almonds to top this one recipe, check out the baking aisle of your market and look for either slivered or sliced almonds in a small 3-ounce pouch. Major Grey's mango chutney is available under many different brand names and can be found on both Condiment and International Foods aisles of market.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray