- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 McIntosh apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 ripe Anjou or Bosc pear, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, a few pinches or freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (a handful) brown sugar
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 8 wafer stick cookies, vanilla wafers, or ginger snaps
Heat a nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Add butter and sliced fruit and saute for 5 minutes until the slices of fruit are tender. Season fruit with nutmeg and cinnamon as it sautes. Sprinkle in brown sugar and cook 2 or 3 minutes longer to coat fruit.
Spoon the warm fruit over vanilla ice cream and garnish with a couple of cookies or wafer sticks.
Mix and match all apple, all pear, use whichever fruits you have on hand, you can even saute sliced peaches or sliced banana and still use the method provided in this recipe.