Fennel Slaw Salad
- 1 palmful (2 tablespoons) golden raisins
- 1 Navel orange, juiced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- 2 bulbs fresh fennel, trimmed of tops and fronds, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium head raddichio, shredded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 handful (3 tablespoons) pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (3 turns around the bowl in a slow stream) extra-virgin olive oil, to coat
- Coarse salt and black pepper
Place raisins in a small dish cover with the juice of the orange and 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water. Plump and soften the raisins for 5 minutes.
Combine fennel, raddichio, scallions, and parsley in a bowl. Add plumped raisins in juice and the pine nuts to the salad and toss with balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil to lightly coat the slaw. Season salad with coarse salt and pepper, to your taste.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray