French Dip Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 jigger dry sherry, optional
- 2 cans beef consomme, found on broth and soups aisle or beef broth
- 1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
- Grill seasoning blend for steak, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning Blend, or, coarse salt and pepper
- 4 torpedo sandwich rolls, split
In a large, shallow skillet over moderate heat, melt butter. Add shallots to butter and saute 2 minutes. Add flour to butter and shallot and cook a minute longer. Whisk in sherry and cook liquid out. Whisk in consomme in a slow stream. Bring sauce to a bubble and allow to simmer over low heat until ready to serve sandwiches.
Pile meat loosely across your cutting board or a large work surface. Season meat with grill seasoning or salt and black pepper. Set out 4 ramekins or small soup cups for dipping sauce, 4 dinner plates and 4 split torpedo rolls. To assemble, using a pair of kitchen tongs, dip meat into loose au jus sauce and pile into rolls. Set ramekins or cups with extra dipping sauce along side the sandwiches.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray