Ginger Flank Steak with Wasabi Smashed Potatoes
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup tamari aged soy sauce
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons wasabi paste - how hot do ya like it?
- 4 scallions, root end trimmed
- Handful cilantro leaves
Preheat a grill pan or indoor/outdoor grill to high.
Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the potatoes and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and add them back to the hot pot. Smash the potatoes with a masher to desired consistency with the cream and wasabi. Adjust salt, to taste.
While potatoes and meat cook, finely chop the scallions together with cilantro and lime zest.
Let meat rest 5 minutes then thinly slice on an angle against the grain. Serve meat on mash potato mounds with a garnish with a generous sprinkling of the chopped scallion-cilantro-lime zest.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller