Gran'pa Emmanuel's Macaroni with Sausage and Cannellini
- 1 tablespoon (1 turn around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 /2 to 2 /3 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 /2 to 2 /3 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 to 32 ounces) chunky style crushed tomatoes
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 20 leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 pound ziti rigate (with lines), cooked to al dente
- Crusty bread and grated Parmigiano or Romano, for passing at table
Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil and add sausage. Break up meat as it browns. Add garlic and onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium low. Add tomatoes and beans and simmer 2 or 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and fold in basil to wilt. Combine sausage mixture with cooked macaroni and serve immediately with grated Parmesan or Romano and crusty bread.
Note: If your butcher counter does not have bulk sausage, buy links and split casings to remove bulk sausage meat.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray