Green Eggs and Ham with Ital-Tots and Garlic-Cheesy Toast
- 1 sack frozen tater tots, any brand
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- Green Sauce:
- 1/2 cup baby spinach or arugula, 2 handfuls of leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, about 10 to 12 leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (pignoli), a palmful
- 1 small clove garlic, cracked from skin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 rounded spoonfuls grated Parmigiano or Romano
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- Eggs and Ham:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound breakfast ham, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- A splash half-and-half or milk
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Open tots and pour 4 portions onto a nonstick cookie sheet. Sprinkle the tots with salt and dried seasonings and toss them around a bit to get the herbs to stick to the tots as the frost starts to melt the flavorings will set into place. Bake the tots until crisp, about 12 minutes.
Combine ingredients for green sauce in food processor and process until sauce forms; you are making a pesto sauce for the eggs. Set pesto aside and reserve.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and butter to pan, then add the chopped ham and cook to lightly brown at edges, 3 minutes or so.
Remove the tots from the oven and switch the broiler on to toast your bread.
Beat eggs and splash of half-and-half or milk with salt and pepper. Add eggs to the ham in the skillet and scramble them up with the ham to desired doneness and remove from heat.
Stir the pesto into the ham and eggs, making them "green", and serve with garlic-cheese toast on the side.
Recipe Courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello