Grilled Shrimp Cocktail with Horseradish Cream Dipping Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, about 20 shrimp, deveined, peel in tact
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs, 3 handfuls
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish
- 4 leaves Romaine hearts
Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat.
Loosen shells of shrimp and butterfly them cutting down the devein line of the back of the shrimp. Toss shrimp with 1 teaspoon coarse salt. Combine melted butter with lemon juice and zest. Using a pastry brush, cover shrimps with lemon butter and set on hot grill. Grill shrimp 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until pink and firm.
In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, horseradish, cream and salt. Let the cream soak into the bread crumbs 2 minutes. Loosen bread crumbs with a fork. Stir in cayenne sauce or cayenne and combine with sour cream. Spoon equal amounts of sauce into ramekins on individual plates or a dip bowl in the center or 1 large platter.
Arrange 5 grilled shrimp down the center of 1 leaf of romaine lettuce. Serve shrimp with seafood forks alongside dipping sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray