Heck of a Jicama Salad
- 1 medium jicama root, peeled and sliced into thick matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 hearts romaine, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, a handful of leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, eyeball it in the palm of your hand
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place jicama in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and sugar, and add the juice of 1 lime. Let jicama stand 15 minutes. While jicama softens, work on the rest of your meal.
Arrange romaine on a serving plate. Top romaine with jicama. Juice 1 lime into a small bowl, add cilantro and cumin. Whisk in extra-virgin olive oil in a slow stream. Pour dressing over salad and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann