John and I keep a small bottle of truffle oil in the cupboard. We drizzle it on these eggs for an extra-special finish. Try it some time. The eggs are pretty tasty as-is, too. The recipe easily adjusts, as do the potatoes and the toast in this meal, to feed 1 or more. Enjoy.
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces garlic and herb cheese (such as Boursin or Alouette) or, cream cheese, cut or crumbled into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped -- about 12 blades
- Salt and black pepper
- A few drops hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 plum or Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- Smoked salmon, sliced ham or salami, chopped -- optional additions for the eggs
- 8 slices white, wheat, soft sliced Italian or whole grain bread
- 2 large cloves garlic, cracked away from skin
- 4 tablespoons softened salted butter
Whisk eggs with cheese and chives and season with salt and pepper and a few drops hot sauce. Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter or extra-virgin olive oil to the pan. Heat butter or oil, then add eggs. Add the optional addition, if desired, at this point. Scramble to desired consistency and serve with a sliced plum tomato per person, seasoned with salt and pepper, alongside the eggs. Pass garlic toast at table: rub hot toast with cracked garlic, then butter as usual.