Hot 'N Sweet Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 (1-inch) ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or other light oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 small red chili peppers, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, deveined, tails off
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cored and quartered
Combine sugar, vinegar and ginger in a small pot and bring to a boil, dissolve sugar and turn off heat, reserve.
In a skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, chili peppers, mushrooms and garlic 3 to 4 minutes then add shrimp and toss 3 to 4 minutes more until pink and firm. Douse the pan with the sweet vinegar, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with cold lettuce for wrapping the hot-sweet shrimp.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger