Hungarian-ish Mini-Dumpling and Egg Noodle Soup
This soup is so light yet hearty it really is great in any season for any reason, but it is especially delish on cold, snowy days. Plus[, it's made from many items you can keep on hand.]
- 8 cups chicken stock (recommended: Kitchen Basics, 2 (1-quart) boxes
- 1 pound ground chicken or ground turkey breast (I keep an extra pack of both in the freezer; they are both so lean and easy to work with!)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- Handful parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups thin egg noodles
- 1/2 cup pequillo Spanish peppers or roasted red peppers, quartered lengthwise, very thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces then shredded into thin sticks
- Handful fresh dill, finely chopped, about 3 tablespoons
Heat stock to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
Mix the chicken with egg, bread crumbs, nutmeg, smoked sweet paprika, parsley, salt and pepper. Roll the meat into 1-inch dumplings and add to simmering stock. Wash up and let the dumplings cook 3 to 4 minutes alone. Add the egg noodles, peppers and scallions and stir. Cook another 4 to 5 minutes until noodles are just tender. Stir in dill. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.