Inside-Out Bacon Cheeseburgers with Grilled Green Onion Mayo
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 scallions, cleaned and trimmed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and black pepper
- 1/2 pound extra sharp white cheddar cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise or reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 4 crusty Kaiser rolls, split
- 4 leaves crisp romaine lettuce
Preheat grill pan over high heat.
In a medium pan brown bacon over medium high heat and drain on paper towel lined plate.
Brush scallions with a little oil and grill on hot grill pan 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat to cool.
Combine ground beef with Worcestershire and steak seasoning or salt and pepper. Divide meat into 4 equal parts. Combine cheese crumbles and cooked bacon. Take 1/4 of the meat in your hand and make a well in the center of it. Pile in cheese and bacon, then carefully form the burger around the cheese and bacon filling. Make sure the fillings are completely covered with meat. When all 4 patties are formed, drizzle burgers with oil and place on hot grill pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side over high heat, reduce heat to medium low and cook burgers 7 or 8 minutes longer, turning occasionally. Do not press down on burgers as they cook. Transfer burgers to a plate and let them rest 5 minutes before serving.
Pile burgers on crusty buns and top with crisp lettuce leaves and a slather of green onion mayonnaise. As you bite into the burgers, you will find a smoky, cheesy surprise at the center.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.