Kale Gratin with Pancetta
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 pounds kale, stems stripped and chopped, about 6 cups
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg, eyeball it
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano
Preheat the broiler but place the oven rack on the second shelf down from the heat source.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a deep skillet or pot, add the kale and salt and cook 5 to 6 minutes; drain and dry the greens.
Return the skillet to the stove over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and pancetta. Crisp the pancetta and add the cream and garlic. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper then reduce 7 to 8 minutes to about 1/2 to 2/3 cup. Add cooked greens to cream and stir to coat evenly. Transfer to shallow casserole.
Toss with breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Season the crumbs with salt and pepper and combine with cheese. Place the casserole on the second shelf under broiler and brown breadcrumbs and cheese for 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray