Lamb Burgers with Garlic Yogurt Sauce and Pita
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled
- 1 teaspoons allspice, 1/3 palmful
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 palmful
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, eyeball it in your palm
- 1 small red chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- A handful plain bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, minced
- 4 large soft pitas
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded
Put the lamb in bowl. Using a box grater, grate the onion over the bowl so that the pulp of the onion and juices fall into the meat. Add the spices, chile pepper, egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, to taste, and mix to combine. Form the meat mixture into 4 patties, thinner at the middle and thicker at the edges for even cooking.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with oil, or coat the burgers in oil and grill on outdoor grill. Cook the patties about 10 minutes, turning once.
Char the pitas over an open gas burner or outdoor grill.
Eat the burgers in or on the pita bread topped with garlic-mint yogurt, sliced red onion, and some shredded cabbage.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.