Lemon Rice and Eggplant-Chick Pea Curry
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 2 rounded tablespoons mild or hot curry paste
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews
Heat a medium pot over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Add rice and toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 3 cups chicken stock and the bay, lemon zest, turmeric, coriander, cumin and cardamom. Cover pot and bring rice to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer rice 18 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, remove bay leaf and add butter. Toss to coat the rice evenly.
While rice cooks, make the vegetables. Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add onion, garlic, eggplant and bell pepper. Cover and cook stirring occasionally 7 to 8 minutes until tender. Uncover and add the tomatoes, chick peas, salt, pepper, curry paste and remaining 1 cup chicken stock. Simmer 6 to 7 minutes longer. Mix scallions into rice and top with vegetables. Garnish with cashews.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.