- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and chopped into small dice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add the onion, bay and lentils to a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Simmer the lentils 10 minutes, then add the potatoes and cook for 7 to 8 minutes more.
While the lentils and potatoes cook, heat a tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over low heat and saute the shallots, garlic and peppers for a couple of minutes. Add the peas and heat through for 1 minute more. Transfer to a shallow serving bowl to cool.
Drain the lentils and the potatoes and discard the onions and the bay leaf. Return the lentil mixture to the hot pot to dry for a minute, then add to the bowl with herb paste and vegetables. Add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to the salad bowl and toss. Season with cumin, and salt and pepper, to taste. Toss again and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray