Mac and Jack Salad
County Fairs are great and the classic country fare sold at them couldn't be fresher, but here's a couple of recipes that'll shake up the[ country ladies and gents a bit! It's got flavor the folks will be talking about from 2 counties over!]
- 1 pound macaroni elbows or cavatappi corkscrew shaped hollow pasta
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- Black pepper
- 8 -ounce brick Monterey pepper jack cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 1 cup store bought tomatillo salsa (mild, green) or chipotle salsa (hot, smoky red)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley
Bring water to a boil, salt it and add pasta.
While pasta water is coming up to a boil and cooking, combine corn, pepper, onion and celery in a bowl with pepper Jack cheese. Season the veggies with salt and pepper.
Run pasta under cold water to cool it and drain it well. Add pasta to vegetables and cheese.
Place vinegar in a small bowl and whisk in extra-virgin olive oil, then fold in salsa. Pour sauce over salad and toss to coat evenly. Garnish salad with cilantro or parsley and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.