Macaroni and Cheese with Ham
- 1 pound cavatappi (hollow corkscrew shaped pasta) or other short cut pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A few grates nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere
- 1 cup shredded white sharp Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 pound French ham, deli sliced, finely chopped
Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil, drop in pasta. Cook pasta to just shy of al dente.
Heat sauce pot with butter over medium heat, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, whisk in stock then milk, allow the sauce to thicken, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in cheeses in a figure eight motion. Stir in Dijon and ham and remove the sauce from heat. Drain pasta and combine with sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray, 2008