Make Your Own Takeout Cashew Chicken or Pork with Orange Sauce and Scallion Rice
- Total Time:
- 55 min
- 25 min
- 30 min
- 4 servings
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons canola, vegetable or other high-temperature cooking oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 6 chicken cutlets or chicken thighs or 6 thin pork loin chops
- 1 large bundle broccolini or 1 head broccoli
- 1 1/2 inches fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tamari (aged soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
In a sauce pot, heat 1 1/2 cups of the stock and 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Bring to a boil and stir in the rice. Lower the heat and bring to a bubble, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 18 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add the scallions.
Meanwhile, thinly slice the chicken or pork.
Trim the broccolini or broccoli and cut into 2-inch pieces or florets. Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a shallow pot or deep skillet over medium heat. Salt the water and cook the broccolini or florets until tender-crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
Heat a large skillet over high heat while the broccolini cooks. Add 1/2 tablespoon of the oil and when it begins to smoke or ripple, add the chicken and brown it for 5 to 6 minutes, turning once, then transfer it to a plate. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the pan, stir in the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tamari, the marmalade, and the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Slide the chicken, broccolini, and cashews into the pan and stir to combine with the sauce. Simmer for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Scoop the chicken mixture into serving dishes, top with a scoop of rice, and serve.